In A Nutshell

My photo
Despite being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about a decade ago, I was able to work and lead a "normal" life, until I became severely ill with MS type symptoms one month after being laid off in June 2009, which meant no health insurance to properly address the problem. I spent 3 days in the hospital but since they initially did not want to keep me (one doc said I may have MS, but was overruled), I did not qualify for the financial aid for hospital bills because they did not think I belonged there. I was misdiagnosed with Labyrintits and sent on my way. I was told it would go away in a few weeks, that was 3 years ago and I have had the symptoms of dizziness, balance problems, vertigo, and pain every day since then. I went to a local free health clinic until they told me they exhausted all their options and could not help me any longer. I cannot drive nor work outside the home and only walk briefly with the aid of a cane, but also can't get disability because I have no real diagnosis for these particular symptoms. These are the chronicles of my (so far) dead-end journey riddled with bodies of good intentions.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Celebrating Life

What would you do on your birthday and do you remember your milestone birthdays? While there probably are as many answers as there are people answering the question, one item probably would not make the top of the list: blogging. Yet, I chose to do that for my 44th birthday.

The funny, or sad thing (you decide) is that I can't remember any of my important ones, not the 18th, not the 21st, not the 30th. The one thing I remember about  my 40th is that I received a phone call saying I may have cervical cancer. Further tests revealed that I did not, luckily.

So, since none of us know if we'll make it to the next one (not being morbid, just saying that we should be grateful for each day we have) I decided to launch this. I should have done this from the beginning, but as they say, it ain't easy.

3 comments:

Conny said...

Wonderful new blog Alex. Everything is so interesting. This one is hot!

Diane said...

Alex, yours is the face I see when I think about the millions of people without jobs, without healthcare, and without a compassionate government and society that cares. As an American, I am embarrassed. The other millions of people in your similar situation are strangers to me, but YOU are not. I am so thankful that you are publishing this blog so that your family and friends around the world have a better understanding of your situation. You have never asked for a "hand-out," just a "hand-up." There's a big difference.

Judith C Evans said...

Congratulations on this blog! As someone who has spent time in the maze of health problems and homelessness, I can definitely relate to much of what you have written. Keep on keeping on! :)